When Mother Nature cranks up the heat outdoors, having a comfortable, air-conditioned home is always welcome. Stepping out of a scorching day into a cool home is a relief once the heat of summer arrives. Of course, like any other type of equipment, your home’s air conditioning system requires energy to operate – and that can be costly. Fortunately, you can help your air conditioning system operate more efficiently and keep your home more comfortable.
According to the Department of Energy, about two-thirds of homes in the U.S. use some form of air conditioning, and those homeowners spend around $11 billion combined annually on cooling costs. In fact, homeowners use about six percent of their annual energy budget on home cooling. As a result, finding ways to reduce your energy usage when it comes to home cooling is important, for both the planet and your wallet.
Five Ways You Can Maximize Your Home Cooling
Below, we’ll share some helpful tips for keeping your home cooler this summer, all while helping your AC system operate more effectively and efficiently. Keep reading to learn more!
- Turn your home’s ceiling fans counterclockwise. By setting your fans so they turn in the counterclockwise direction, the cool air will be pushed down into your living space as opposed to being drawn up to the ceiling.
- Use drapes or blinds during the day. The sunlight can warm up the temperatures in your home, making your AC system have to work harder to keep your home cool. By drawing the drapes or blinds during the day, you’ll help to keep the direct sunlight and heat outside.
- Cook outside or use your slow cooker when possible. Your home can heat up quickly when your oven or stovetop is being used. By using an outdoor grill or slow cooker, you won’t be generating that extra heat indoors.
- Consider dehumidification if your home is especially humid. Humid air tends to hold heat. Air conditioning systems can help remove some of the humidity from the air, but if your home is especially humid, a dehumidification system can help.
- Make sure your air conditioning system has been properly maintained. If you didn’t get maintenance in the spring, it’s not too late. When your AC needs maintenance, it often has to work harder – and that can mean it operates less effectively and efficiently.
Need AC Service? Boelcke Can Help!
If you’re not sure that your home’s air conditioning system is operating as efficiently as it should be, you can count on Boelcke to help. At Boelcke, we’re pleased to provide annual maintenance agreements that help keep your system running smoothly and help you and your family stay comfortable. Or, if you need air conditioning repair, or are interested in learning more about a newer, more efficient system, we can help with that too! Simply give us a call at (269) 429-9261, and we will be more than happy to help you get any air conditioning service you may need for better home comfort and improved energy efficiency.