What’s The Right Type of Air Conditioning System For My Home?
Boelcke Heating and Air Conditioning offers expert HVAC solutions near you. We proudly serve Stevensville, Michigan, and all of Berrien County.
Thinking about installing air conditioning in your home, or replacing your old equipment? It’s an important decision, and one that requires thought and research. Good air conditioning systems, and expert installation by trained professionals, can be costly. But it can also be a worthy investment. Not only will quality AC add to your family’s comfort, but it can also increase the value of your home. Getting the right type of AC system – and one that is the right size for your home as well – is vital. That’s why it’s crucial that you work with a contractor who has the experience and knowledge to provide you with not only the right type of air conditioning for your home, but also a system that’s the right size and has been expertly installed.
As you read through this AC buyer’s guide, you’ll see that we cover a lot of bases in the hopes that you get all the knowledge you need. We’ll explain the different types of air conditioning systems we offer, and give you some tips on how you’ll know when it’s time to replace your system. We’ll share some pointers on how you can save energy – as well as some reasons why your summer utility bills might be higher than normal. Plus, we’ll talk about how having a maintenance plan for your cooling system can greatly benefit you now, and in the long run.
AC 101: The Different Types of Air Conditioning
There are numerous brands and types of air conditioning available on the market today. With so many choices, it can be difficult to know what the right type is for your home. Understanding what type of AC you need is a bit easier than you might think, though, when you have the facts. If you currently have an older central air conditioning unit installed in your home, for instance, newer and more efficient central air is probably a great option for you. If you have radiant or baseboard heat and have been relying on window AC, you might be surprised to learn there are modern cooling options available that don’t need ductwork at all, and are more efficient and quiet than window units.
Boelcke Heating & Cooling is pleased to offer both central air conditioning and ductless air conditioning for your comfort and convenience. If you’re interested in replacing your old system with a newer, more efficient one, building a home from the ground up, or looking for ways to keep specific spaces in your home more comfortable, we can help you get the right type and size system for your home and your own unique air conditioning needs.
Below, you’ll learn more about the different types of air conditioning systems we can install for you.
- Central Air Conditioning: This type of AC system provides conditioned air throughout the home, using its existing ductwork system. It distributes cooled air throughout your home using a two-part system: the condenser, which usually is installed outdoors, and the air handler, which usually is located in either the basement or attic. Like most AC systems, central air uses refrigerant to cool the air that’s then sent throughout your home via your duct system. Boelcke is pleased to offer quality AC equipment that is highly energy-efficient and uses a type of refrigerant that provides both efficiency and does not harm the ozone layer, making it more environmentally friendly that its predecessors.
- Ductless Air Conditioning: If you have radiant or baseboard heating, and think you have to rely on noisy, obtrusive window AC to keep your home cool – think again! Ductless air conditioning can provide you with cooling throughout your home, even in places where ductwork is impractical, or even impossible. Whether you need it throughout your home, or just in one area like a finished basement or converted garage or attic, ductless is a great option. Ductless systems operate quietly, are easy to use, and blend well with just about all décor. They provide increased energy efficiency, which can help you save on utility bills. Additionally, there are ductless systems available that can both cool and heat your home, so you’ll be able to enjoy year-round comfort. And, it requires minimal construction to install, letting you and your family enjoy better comfort quickly, without a lot of mess.
When Is It Time To Replace My AC System?
If your current air conditioning system provides you with the cooling you need, and your energy costs are affordable, new AC might not make a lot of sense to you. But if you’re strongly considering having a new system installed, you’ll want to make sure you get the most for your money. Air conditioning is an investment, and most homeowners don’t go into getting a replacement lightly. ENERGY STAR® gives homeowners some practical tips on how you can decide whether or not it’s time to replace:
- How old is your Air Conditioning system? According to ENERGY STAR®, if your system is 10 years old or more, it may be time to think about replacing it. Today’s air conditioning systems are much more efficient and use a more environmentally friendly type of refrigerant. Not to mention, when a Boelcke expert properly installs your new AC, it can save you up to 20 percent on your home cooling costs.
- Does your Air Conditioner needed frequent repairs? Do you have increasing energy bills? If you need to fix your system often, or if your utility bills seem to be through the roof, then your system is probably struggling to work properly. The problem could stem different factors, such an older system that’s simply wearing out; a system that was improperly sized, or a unit that has not received the proper maintenance.
- Is your home more humid than you’d like? High indoor humidity levels can be caused by inadequate AC equipment operation, equipment that is the wrong size for your space, or both. Over time, too much moisture in your home can cause mold, mildew and other damages. If your air conditioning system isn’t keeping humidity at a manageable level, then you and your family aren’t enjoying the best home comfort possible, and it may be time to consider replacement.
- Is your current AC system noisy? A noisy system can be the symptom of a couple of different problems. Your ductwork may be undersized, or there might be a concern with your cooling system’s indoor coil. Of course, any sudden, loud noises coming from your system are a cause for immediate concern. Turn your system off and contact your cooling professional right away for assistance.
Need help troubleshooting your Air Conditioning System?
Save On Home Cooling Costs
If you have an air conditioning system already installed, you know that cooling your space can be costly. Any sort of machinery in your home – like air conditioners, furnaces and appliances – uses energy. And, if they’re older or not operating as well as they should, they can use even more energy, causing your utility bills to skyrocket. Modern air conditioning systems are manufactured to be more efficient than units of the past were. Before calling us to discuss a new system, think about the following factors:
- Is your Air Conditioning system older? As we’ve mentioned before, older systems are less efficient than today’s AC units. Technology in air conditioning manufacturing has improved, and today’s systems are built for much better energy efficiency, and they use a more efficient type of refrigerant that’s much more environmentally friendly, too.
- Is your Air Conditioning system the right size? At Boelcke, we take great pride in our expertise when it comes to making sure you get the perfect AC system for your home and needs. However, even if we didn’t install your home’s current system, there are methods we can use to improve your home’s current system. We will be happy to talk to you about how we can help maximize your comfort system’s efficiency.
- Is your Air Conditioning system regularly maintained? Not getting the proper annual maintenance for your air conditioning system can cause a decline in efficiency. That’s because components of your system get dirty over time – and without professional maintenance all that buildup can lead to improper functioning, leading to more energy needed to get the job done.
Are AC Maintenance Plans Important?
Nothing is as enjoyable as the cool comfort you’ll experience from a brand-new air conditioning system. But, if you want to keep it working like new, you’ll want to get the maintenance it needs. New air conditioning equipment represents a major investment in your home. And, if you give it the proper treatment, it’ll keep you and your family cool and comfortable for years to come. An annual maintenance plan ensures that your system gets the treatment it needs to last and remain efficient.
Boelcke is pleased to offer customers annual maintenance plans for their cooling equipment. Some people think that maintenance plans aren’t all that necessary, or maybe a way for their HVAC company to make extra money. You should know, though, that the Department of Energy (DOE) encourages customers to get maintenance for their equipment regularly, explaining that without the proper maintenance, air conditioner performance decreases, while energy usage increases.
The Department of Energy recommends the following five maintenance checkpoints:
- Clean Filters: Clogged, dirty filters can cause many concerns with your cooling system. They block the airflow, and that causes reduced system efficiency. And, a dirty filter causes the dirt and buildup to collect inside your system, which can dramatically affect performance.
- Clean Coils: Dirt and debris builds up inside your system and on your coils over time. When you get annual preventive maintenance, the technician will check the coils, cleaning them as necessary.
- Fin Function: The aluminum fins of evaporator and condenser coils unfortunately bend very easily, obstructing the airflow through your system. Your technician will use a tool called a fin comb to get those aluminum fins back into place, helping the air flow properly through your system once more.
- Clean Condensate Drains: Your system’s condensate drains can get clogged with dirt and other debris. Maintenance will keep the drains clog-free, helping your system work better and keeping the air in your home from getting too humid.
- Warranty Maintained: If you read the fine print in your warranty, you’ll likely see that the manufacturer of your AC unit requires annual maintenance in order to keep the warranty in check. Not getting annual maintenance can void the warranty, and that could mean costly repairs or replacement for you down the road.
Trust Boelcke for Top-Quality Air Conditioning System Installation
At Boelcke Heating & Air Conditioning, we pride ourselves on the quality products and the expert services we offer to our customers. We’re always pleased to provide you with the right information, so that you can make the best possible decisions when it comes to your home comfort. That’s why we’re sharing this buyer’s guide with you – because it’s very important to us that you have all the information you need at your fingertips. And of course, when it comes to your AC needs, we’ll explain the different types of cooling systems to you, as well as what we can offer you – so you have everything you need to make the best possible decision.
Simply give us a call at (269) 429-9261, or reach out via our contact page, and we will be more than happy to assist you.